Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

I made these cookies two days ago with my mom. I was so happy with the way they came out that I've decided to post them as my first recipe.

Here's what I like about this recipe:

1) These cookies taste amazing! I am a much more picky eater than my husband especially when it comes to gluten-free foods and I love these cookies more than cookies that actually contain gluten. They stay soft after cooling and they have a great texture.

2) The ingredients I used were all purchased at King Soopers. I'll write a short blog later about where to find gluten-free ingredients but for now I'm just glad to see gluten-free items becoming more main stream.

And now, onto the recipe.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cup gluten free flour mix (see below for my specific mix)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 4 tbs butter at room temp. (I used Smart Balance Butter Blend Sticks)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup sugar (I recommend something with larger granules like Sugar in the Raw or Demerara Sugar)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • Ghiradelli chocolate chips (I use about half of a 12 oz bag but feel free to add more or less depending on how chocolaty you want it)
Gluten Free Flour Blend (makes enough flour blend to double the cookie recipe)


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F 
  2. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside (I used an ungreased baking stone) 
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt 
  4. In a large bowl, beat butter and oil until smooth. 
  5. Add vanilla and eggs and beat until incorporated. Add your sugar and mix thoroughly. 
  6. Add your dry ingredients to the batter and continue to stir until mixed. 
  7. Stir in your chocolate chips. 
  8. Drop generous tablespoons onto baking sheet 2 inches apart. 
  9. Bake 8-10 minutes. (The cookies should be slightly golden around the edges. It's easy to over cook gluten free cookies). 
  10. Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for a minute or two then transfer them to a cooling rack.

Makes about 1 1/2 to 2 dozen cookies depending on how big you make them.

3 comments:

  1. I highly recommend this baking blog. I've never made any of her recipes, but I've really wanted to. This one that I just found is gluten-free! And it has bacon in it!! I'm going to make them for SD as soon as I can get some natural peanut butter. Love, ALD

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2009/09/peanut-butter-bacon-cookies/

    oops.. there's the link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ALD... I don't know who you are *wink wink*, but I don't like bacon. Ha ha. Thanks Alti for posting.

    ReplyDelete