Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate Scones

Well, it's been almost 2 years since I posted my first recipe. I figured I'd take another stab at blogging. I was mostly motivated by the gluten-free scones I made this morning that were so chocolatey and warm and yummy. I just had to share them with the world. So here goes.

What I like about this recipe:
1) You only need almond flour! After two years of gluten-free baking, I've come to resent recipes that call for a flour blend like my chocolate chip cookies (who has time for that?!). I am learning to truly appreciate the more simple recipes, the ones that take less than 10 minutes to prepare, and especially the ones that use ingredients that I usually have around my kitchen.

2) They are not DRY scones like what you would get when you purchase a scone from Panera or a coffee shop. These are the texture that I always imagine scones to be when I see them in a food display case-- crisp on the outside, soft and moist on the inside.

3) I just had the brilliant idea that had I added a touch of mint extract, these could've become mint-chocolate scones!


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups of almond flour (I bought mine at Natural Grocers/Vitamin Cottage)
  • 3 tbs sugar
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa Powder)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tbs melted butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • about 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (more or less to your preference)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees 
  2. Combine almond flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder in a bowl 
  3. Mix the egg, melted butter, and vanilla into your dry ingredients 
  4. Fold in your chocolate chips 
  5. Place dough on a flat surface and flatten to about 1 1/2 inch thick (I just put down aluminum foil and flattened it with my hand, but if you want to get fancy I supposed you could use a rolling pin. The dough is pretty sticky, though.) 
  6. Cut into wedges and place on a cookie sheet (I used an ungreased baking stone) 
  7. Bake for 20 minutes until the outside feels nice and firm to the touch. 
  8. Cool them on a wire cooling rack for a bit and then enjoy the chocolatey deliciousness!

I also sprinkled a little sugar on top of them before baking them but this is totally optional. This recipe makes 4 scones.

2 comments:

  1. Tried to make these this morning, they were ok but came out really crunchy. In your ingredients you say baking powder but in your instructions you said baking soda...wasn't sure which one was right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know! It is baking POWDER. I will correct that in the instructions.

      Delete