Thursday, March 7, 2013

Gluten-free Drop Biscuits

So I'll admit it. I totally dropped the ball on the gluten-free blog idea since I haven't added anything in over a year. I haven't been totally unproductive in that time, however, as I have been able to try A LOT of g.f. recipes and have found some that are absolute staples for Robbie and I now. This drop biscuit recipe happens to be one of those staples. I have made them so many times that I have the recipe memorized. They are fantastic with jam or honey or sausage gravy!

Maybe I'm alone in this but I hate cutting butter into a mixture of dry ingredients. It takes so long and it's so hard to get it distributed evenly. Originally I was making this recipe by cutting the butter into the dry ingredients until I forgot one day (yeah, I know... I'm such a professional baker) and had to melt the butter and add it in at the end. The result was fantastic! The biscuits had a much smoother texture and were just as fluffy. Can you say hooray for baking mistakes that turn out better than the original? One mistake not to make, however, is to think that xanthan gum isn't important and so you leave it out. Let me tell you it doesn't work. Your dough will look like pancake batter.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 cup corn starch
  • 1 tsp xanthan gum
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk with 1 tsp vinegar (this is my substitute for buttermilk)
  • 2 egg whites
  • 4-5 tbsp butter (soft)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 410 degrees F
  2. Put 1 tsp vinegar into a measuring cup and then fill it to 1 cup with milk (allow this to sit about 5 minutes)
  3. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl
  4. Mix the two egg whites into your milk/vinegar solution
  5. Pour milk/vinegar/egg white solution into your dry ingredients and combine with a fork until there are just a few globs of dry ingredients that still need to be mixed in
  6. At this point I wait a minute or two to let the dough thicken. It's actually really moist and takes a bit to puff up so just be patient
  7. Finally, mix in your softened butter and place large drops onto a greased cookie sheet or baking stone
  8. Bake for 15-18 minutes

If you are really feeling sassy, try adding some shredded cheddar cheese to your biscuit dough. While the biscuits are baking, melt some butter and mix in some garlic salt. Then, when your biscuits are about 5 minutes from being done spoon your garlic butter on top of them and let them finish baking for delicious cheesy garlic biscuits like they serve at Red Lobster! Here's a picture of my cheesy garlic version!

No comments:

Post a Comment